UPDATE: JANUARY 26, 2021
Beginning JANUARY 26, 2021:
The USA requires all require all air passengers two years of age and over entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure, or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days. See the USA State Department site for more details.
- The ‘5 Day’ test that is required by the Bahamas and is completed in Spanish Wells meets the USA requirement so as long as you are leaving within 3 days of getting that test done.
- The ‘5 Day’ Bahamas test is a rapid antigen test (it is not the RT PCR invasive nasal swab test) and is accepted by the USA .
- The USA requires all passengers 2 years and older but the Bahamas exempts children 10 years and younger so children will need a test and these tests can be done quickly and easily in Spanish Wells (the rapid test takes approx. 20 minutes for the results)
- If you are staying for longer than 7 days or if your flight is delayed by a day, you will likely need to get another test completed to meet the USA requirements.
- The ‘5 day’ tests are completed at a clinic in the Spanish Wells ‘Food Fair’ plaza which is a 5 minute walk from Howard Beach House. The test only takes a few minutes to do. In most cases, the cost of the test is covered by the Bahamas Health Visa but if you need to get the test done a 2nd time, the cost is (TBA).
UPDATE: NOVEMBER 1, 2020
Beginning NOVEMBER 1, 2020:
The Government has postponed the Rapid Antigen Tests at the Port of Entry but will require a Rapid Antigen Test on the 5th day for any visitors staying in the Bahamas longer than 4 nights/5 days.
- The Government removed the Vacation in Place protocols beginning November 1, 2020.
- All persons traveling to the Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID 19 RT- PCR (swab) test taken no more than FIVE (5) days prior to their date of entry into the Bahamas. Children 10 years and under do not need to be tested.
- All travelers will be required to apply for a Bahamas TRAVEL HEALTH VISA
- If visitors stay beyond 4 nights and 5 days, a Rapid Antigen Test will be required.
- This DAY 5 TEST is available in Spanish Wells.
- Beginning November 14, 2020; Travel Health Insurance will be mandatory and included in the cost of the Health Travel Visa ($60/person for stays > 4 nights and $40 for stays 4 nights and less). There will be no charge for children 10 and under.
- The wearing of masks and social distancing guidelines remain in effect.