UPDATE: 20 September, 2022
COVID TESTING REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING THE BAHAMAS HAS BEEN ELIMINATED REGARDLESS OF VACINNATION STATUS
UPDATE: 19 June, 2022
NO TRAVEL VISA OR TESTING REQUIRED FOR VACCINATED TRAVELERS
Effective Sunday 19th June 2022 at 12:01 am The Bahamas Travel Health Visa (BTHV) will no longer be required to travel to The Bahamas. All unvaccinated travelers ages 2 and older will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test – either a negative RT-PCR or a Rapid Antigen Test to be presented at check-in. Vaccinated travelers will only be required to present proof of vaccination at check-in.
UPDATE: JUNE 12, 2022
COVID TESTING NO LONGER REQUIRED FOR US ENTRY
Effective JUNE 12, 2022, The CDC order requiring persons to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded. This means that starting at 12:01AM ET on June 12, 2022, air passengers will not need to get tested and show a negative COVID-19 test result, nor show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for noncitizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect.
UPDATE: AUGUST 6, 2021
RAPID ANTIGEN TEST OR PCR NOW REQUIRED FOR VACCINATED TRAVELLERS
Effective AUGUST 6, 2021:
Those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who have been fully vaccinated will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival in The Bahamas. The name and address of the lab where the test was performed must be clearly displayed on the test result. Effective August 6, 2021, all fully vaccinated travellers wishing to travel inter-island within The Bahamas, including Bahamian citizens and residents, will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of travel from the following islands: Nassau & Paradise Island, Grand Bahama, Bimini, Exuma, Abaco, and North and South Eleuthera, including Harbour Island. Vaccinated travellers will still need to apply for the Bahamas Travel Health Visa and will be required to upload proof of vaccination with their application. Those returning to the USA will still require a negative Covid test (antigen or RT-PCR) to enter the USA for all travelers 2 years and older competed within 3 days of departure. The antigen test is available locally throughout the Bahamas (including ELH and NAS). All residents and visitors must still adhere to health and safety protocols on-island such as mask wearing, social distancing and frequent hand washing among others
UPDATE: APRIL 23, 2021
BAHAMAS DROPS COVID TEST REQUIREMENT FOR VACCINATED TRAVELLERS
Effective MAY 1, 2021:
International visitors travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who are fully vaccinated and have passed the two-week immunity period will be exempt from testing requirements for entry and inter-island travel. Vaccinated travellers will still need to apply for the Bahamas Travel Health Visa and will be required to upload proof of vaccination with their application. They will not need to provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test prior to entry or submit to rapid testing mandates during their stay. Those returning to the USA will still require a negative Covid test (antigen or RT-PCR) to enter the USA for all travellers 2 years and older competed within 3 days of departure. The antigen test is available locally throughout the Bahamas (including ELH and NAS). All residents and visitors must still adhere to health and safety protocols on-island such as mask wearing, social distancing and frequent hand washing among others. See the Islands of The Bahamas press release for more details.
UPDATE: JANUARY 26, 2021
COVID TEST REQUIRED TO ENTER USA
Beginning JANUARY 26, 2021:
The USA requires all require all air passengers two years of age and over entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three (3) calendar days of departure, or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days.
- The ‘5 Day’ test that is required by the Bahamas and is completed in Spanish Wells meets the USA requirement so as long as you are leaving within 3 days of getting that test done.
- The ‘5 Day’ Bahamas test is a rapid antigen test (it is not the RT PCR invasive nasal swab test) and is accepted by the USA .
- The USA requires all passengers 2 years and older but the Bahamas exempts children 10 years and younger so children will need a test and these tests can be done quickly and easily in Spanish Wells (the rapid test takes approx. 20 minutes for the results)
- If you are staying for longer than 7 days or if your flight is delayed by a day, you will likely need to get another test completed to meet the USA requirements.
- The ‘5 day’ tests are completed at a clinic in the Spanish Wells ‘Food Fair’ plaza which is a 5 minute walk from Howard Beach House. The test only takes a few minutes to do. In most cases, the cost of the test is covered by the Bahamas Health Visa but if you need to get the test done a 2nd time, the cost is (TBA).
UPDATE: NOVEMBER 1, 2020
BAHAMAS ENDS TRAVEL QUARANTINE
TRAVEL HEALTH VISA
Beginning NOVEMBER 1, 2020:
The Government has postponed the Rapid Antigen Tests at the Port of Entry but will require a Rapid Antigen Test on the 5th day for any visitors staying in the Bahamas longer than 4 nights/5 days.
- The Government removed the Vacation in Place protocols beginning November 1, 2020.
- All persons traveling to the Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID 19 RT- PCR (swab) test taken no more than FIVE (5) days prior to their date of entry into the Bahamas. Children 10 years and under do not need to be tested.
- All travelers will be required to apply for a Bahamas TRAVEL HEALTH VISA
- If visitors stay beyond 4 nights and 5 days, a Rapid Antigen Test will be required.
- This DAY 5 TEST is available in Spanish Wells.
- Beginning November 14, 2020; Travel Health Insurance will be mandatory and included in the cost of the Health Travel Visa ($60/person for stays > 4 nights and $40 for stays 4 nights and less). There will be no charge for children 10 and under.
- The wearing of masks and social distancing guidelines remain in effect.